Last Updated on
Bulgarian lunges are purely female exercises. Division, of course, conditional. It was introduced so that the female half would pay attention to what would help them tighten their hips and round their buttocks. Bulgarian Lunges is a tool for influencing problem areas, which is the best for this.
Split Squat Muscles Worked
Bulgarian lunges is a multi-joint exercise similar to classic lunges.
Therefore, the same muscles work:
- quadriceps are targeted;
- the role of synergists is taken by the soleus muscle, gluteus maximus, adductors;
- in the role of dynamic stabilizers muscles of the calves, the back of the thighs;
- stabilizers – gluteal (medium and small).
What Are Benefits Of Split Squats
The advantages of the training are as follows:
- muscles of one leg isolate;
- improve body balance;
- develop leg muscles;
- give roundness to the buttocks and improve shape;
- develop strength and volume of a lagging limb;
- strengthen and develop the muscles of the core;
- provide growth of jogging and hopping indicators;
- increase the stability of the knee joint;
- simple to execute in any conditions;
- many options.
The point is to include this small but expensive spool in the does stretching burn fat for correcting the legs, of course.
Bulgarian Lunges Proper Form Features
It would seem like a simple exercise, but nevertheless this is the exercise of increased complexity, therefore, in order to do the Bulgarian Lunges correctly, you need to strictly observe the technique.
- Pick up the dumbbells and go to the bench.
- Perform the “multiplication” by taking one step away from the bench, and the other, throwing it on it so that there is a leg lift on the edge.
- Keep your back straight, and look forward – you have taken your starting position.
Take a deep breath.
- As you exhale, begin to bend the thigh and knee of the supporting leg, going down.
- As soon as the thigh reaches a position parallel to the floor, push the body up with a supercompensation of the muscles of the supporting leg (pushing the heel), and return to the starting position.
- Perform Bulgarian Lunges a specified number of times.
The picture below will help you understand the execution technique:
Split Squat Variations (Dumbbell Split Squat, Barbell Split Squat, Swiss Ball Split Squat)
It has already been mentioned that Bulgarian Lunges are a varied exercise, i.e. It has a lot of options, in addition to the classic:
- without weights;
- with a barbell;
- in Smith machine
- with a Swiss ball.
Split Squat Proper Form
Performing Bulgarian Lunges, you must strictly follow the recommendations, since the training belongs to the complex one, in terms of coordination:
- to control the back, which should remain straight throughout the exercise, do the training, in front of the mirror, turning to it sideways;
- slightly twist the toe of the supporting leg inward;
- the step does not need to be made large, but it should not be too short;
- requires control and the angle of bending of the knee when performing lunges, which cannot be too sharp;
- Squats should be done to the point at which the thigh of the supporting leg is parallel to the floor (or slightly lower);
- The lift should begin with a narrow grip press;
- do not block the knee when rising up;
- make sure that the knee does not cross the plane of the socks;
- movements must be done slowly and in a controlled manner;
- when starting an exercise, use light weights: it is important to maintain balance at first;
- to make lunges deeper, use a bench higher as you progress;
- 3-4 sets, consisting of 10-12 reps, are recommended for each leg.
Lunges vs Squats: What Is The Difference?
The difference in the load on the legs: in Bulgarian lunges, one leg is suspended, in contrast to the classics, where both legs are involved. Therefore, in the latter case, the load is distributed between both limbs, and in the Bulgarian lunges, the muscles of one leg are loaded precisely. Therefore, Bulgarian Lunges – training is more tedious and difficult.
If the two exercises are compared to determine which is better, then they say about the classics, as about training with large weights.
But, Bulgarian lunges provide the muscles of the supporting leg with constant tension. In addition, the supporting leg performs a larger amount of work than in the classic version, and the quadriceps constantly works, without relaxing from start to finish.
Barbell Squats Vs Lunges: What To Choose
American scientists conducted research comparing these two exercises. The results showed that the activity of the hamstrings and buttocks is much higher when performing Bulgarian lunges than when doing barbell squats.
The conclusion is that, if the aim is to correct the shape of the buttocks and increase biceps, then it is better to perform Bulgarian Lunges. If you want to develop quadriceps, barbell squats are better.
Data from other studies confirm that the level of testosterone in the body of athletes, after performing these exercises, is identical. This suggests that the Bulgarian lunges and squats with a bar have the same effect on the hormonal environment, and therefore on hypertrophy.